Monday, March 30, 2009

In Stitches

Isn't it funny how birthday seems to become a little less important with each year you gain?

Mine started out with a bang. Up early after working the late shift yesterday, I headed out for an ultrasound of my abdomen. I started out the radiology tech's day well as she "loved" my "beautiful anatomical structure". Apparently everything is where it's supposed to be and very receptive to being captured via ultrasound. I've always longed to hear that I have "beautiful organs". ;)

Next it was over to the clinic for a couple of biopsies. One was a mole on my breast, the other for a growth on my nose. The nose biopsy required a couple of stitches to close so I get to spend the next week walking around looking as if I have a couple of big black hairs sticking out of my nostril. Fun!

On the bright side, it's done. Friends and family wanted to know why I scheduled these procedures on my birthday. Why? It was the first available appointments and I want them done. Now it's just wait for the reports to come back.

The doctor did not start me on cholesterol medications today as she wants to wait and see what's going on with the liver functions being elevated. Apparently cholesterol meds would mess with those levels, so we'll wait a couple more weeks before starting.

I'm off to work shortly, taking in a big cake to share with my co-workers. I fully expect to be driving home in heavy rain/snow tonight as the meteorologists and predicting a doozy of a storm to hit tonight. Half of our state is already being hit with schools and roads closing left and right. Nothing to surprising though. I think I could count on one hand the number of times there has been good weather on my birthday.

I wonder what this 39th year will hold?

5 comments:

miwise said...

Sending birthday wishes and the hope that the next year will be less stressful.

Going out on a limb here but please don't forget the mind/body connection in health issues. I love Louise Hay's book, You Can Heal Your Life. Sometimes there are underlying issues that make us sick. Take care of yourself.

Vanessa said...

Sending birthday wishes as well as wishes for good results. I understand wanting that next available appointment no matter what date it falls on. Keep us posted, we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Caf said...

i too have noticed that seemingly less important thing...and I would have definitely taken the appointments instead! We wait so long for some of them...wishing you a (belated) happy birthday! I'm rather far behind on my blog reading...you know how life does all those mean and painful things sometimes...I know you know ;)

Anonymous said...

Sending you birthday hugs and big hoorays for taking care of yourself!
I wish I wasn't so scared of these things (blood tests, dentists).
I'm on Lipitor for high cholesterol and have to get my liver checked a couple times a year...standard.

Happy Easter weekend!

The Modern Gal said...

I imagine when your health is such a concern, nothing seems that important.