Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Definitely Serving It Up & Doing Nothing Else

*Life is moving right along here. My manager at the restaurant is gone on vacation this week so I am attempting to fill his shoes by handling the front-of-the-house duties. This will be my 7th day out of 10 in a row down at the restaurant. Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. I really enjoy being there. However everything else is on hold right now. I have Sunday off and then put in another six nights in a row. August 9th will be my last day and I'm somewhat sad about it. However everything else is on hold right now until this crazy work schedule is finished.

*The kiddos spent the weekend with their dad and have been at my parent's most of the week. On Friday Anime and Action will go to their dad's again. Actress will stay home as she has a softball tourney this weekend. I've hardly seen them lately.

*The house is a wreck. It looks like several mini-tornadoes hit it.

*The car is fixed. Yeah! I had to have the drive train? drive shaft? whatever, replaced. Luckily there were still 5000 miles left on the warranty.

*The kids leave in two weeks for a vacation with my parents. They are going to the Black Hills in South Dakota. I'd love to go with them but there's just too much to be done right now.

*We close on the house on MONDAY! OMG!

*I pick up the moving truck two weeks from tomorrow. Two weeks. Wow. Two weeks. Where did the whole summer go?!

*I have one paycheck left from my school job. I have to find a job. But what kind of job?

So dear readers, here's the question for you? What do you do? What would you like to do? I have a chance to change careers/jobs, whatever, and I don't know what direction to take. Give me your suggestions please! Delurk, you twenty-some subscribers that are there but have not commented, and leave your job ideas! Please!

12 comments:

Chele76 said...

I'm an analyst for a major insurance company. I turn business needs (i.e. product enhancements, legislation, etc) into automation. I guess my job is to make stuff happen. lol Not exciting, but it pays the bills. I'd recommend Business Analysis as a trade if you had the interest. Shoot me a message if you want to learn more. I can take a peek and see if there is anything available for my company in your area (remember LARGE multi-national insurance company)

Red Lotus Mama said...

If I could do it all over again I would have taken on a trade: teacher, cosmetologist, fitness instructor. Something that gave me summer time off and I could flex my schedule with my kid. Don't get me wrong ... I love my current job and they are very flexible with my current schedule, but when Little 'Ny gets older and is no longer in year around school I don't know what I am going to do. Good luck on your search! Let me know what you end up with.

Diane said...

I would totally love to help, but I don't know what I want to do when I grow up. I mean, I have a job, but I certainly don't want to be there for the rest of my life.

Good luck in your quest. I really hope you find something you love!

Anonymous said...

Well good morning and what a lot of new you have :D

Work...well i don't know, i think you can do anything you want only if you can afford it and if you can then find your calling and run with it.

Anonymous said...

Since I have had 600 jobs in my life, I would be the last person to guide anyone on their career path.

I have never felt that my identity was wrapped up in my career so it never mattered to me what I did....as long as I could pay the bills.

With that decision, I have had to make significant sacrifices in my life with my family. Long hours, no vacations, can't buy stuff on a whim, still renting, etc.

All I can say is I sincerely wish you the best. Follow your gut!

Vanessa said...

I know those long stretches at the restaurant with no days off all too well! Good luck and take your vitamins. As for a new job, maybe try something using the EMT training you received? What about something else in the medical profession, like triage in the ER? Perhaps working at another school? If I think of anything new and original, I'll let you know.

Anonymous said...

Currently, I work in Customer Service/Tech Support for an Internet Faxing company. But, someday, I will make my living in some sort of creative pursuit, be that my writing, my art, or both.

But, the only real advice I can give is to do what feels right for your lifestyle outside the job. So long as you can stay one step ahead of the bills, make money the lesser factor compared to contentment. Do something you can see yourself being comfortable doing five, ten years from now. And if you're looking at a day job while working toward some other goal, make sure the day job's hours and pay scale can accomodate what you need to devote to your real passion.

Nichole M said...

Good luck on the closing of the house!

The question you ask is one that was posed to me several times as I was applying for residency over 6 years ago. I told them that I would get a Masters in Fine Arts and further my voice training. I also have dreamt about becoming a famous personal trainer... with a body to match!

BusyDad said...

I have been in marketing and PR for my entire career (14 yrs). And honestly, I like my field. I would never change what I do, but I would (and have changed many times) change whom I do it for. Marketing is the perfect career if you like to discover new and different things. I find that good writers also make for good marketers - so what are you waiting for?

miwise said...

Think about what you don't like... teaching. You seem to like a job that involves helping others... EMT and the restaurant job. Yes, serving food is helping others. I work at a small family diner and I feel that part of my job is to talk to my customers or listen to them, if that's what they need. A pat on the shoulder, a hug, or sometimes just a smile.

Waiting tables isn't glamorous but it does pay the bills. If you're moving to a bigger town there should be more restaurant options. The upside to waiting tables is that you can often work your hours around the needs of your children. And the money is instant.

Having the bills covered can give you the time to think about what you really want to do. Nursing school is a year away. Is there a need for EMT's in your new town and will it pay enough? Will the hours work for your kids?

Many servers think of the job as something to do until something better comes along. I'm 60. I've been doing this since I was 27. I've tried other jobs but this one pays the bills, keeps me active, and some days I know I've helped another person along the way.

Browse some job sites, like Monster. See what's out there and then think about doing it 8 hours a day for 20 years. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I have been in nursing as a nurse or nurse practitioner for 10 years. I like it...but if I could do it all over again I'd go to culinary school. I still might do that once the bills are paid. Finding what you're passionate about is difficult and takes time.

Noodle said...

Currently I am a stay-at-home, homeschooling mama. And I have a part time job at a bookstore (which rocks!).

I have also worked as a

typesetter for a printing company
grant writer
jack-of-all-trades at a comedy club
tour guide at a historic home

to name a few. :)