Sunday, November 2, 2008

My Own Dia De Los Muertos

Did you know that Dia De Los Muertos officially runs both November 1st and 2nd? How fitting for my needs today. Today is the day that my beloved grandmother was born onto this earth. She has been gone for three birthdays now and I have tried to visit my grandfather on this day each year (I didn't make it last year). The date of her birth and the date of her death are burned into my brain and the years inked onto my body. On this day I have felt a need to be at her home and at her grave. How fitting it is, then, that the Day of the Dead extends into this day also?

So that is where I'll be today. The kids and I are making the trek to the home of my grandfather and from there I will make my way alone to her place of burial. Today is a bright beautiful autumn day, which makes it all that more peaceful for me.

3 comments:

Shades of Scorpio said...

That's beautiful that you inked your Grandma's dates! I hope the day was peaceful for all of you. (your grandfather too).

Birchsprite said...

Hope today brought you peace!

Vanessa said...

I hope today brings many great memories for you.