Thursday, February 28, 2008

A Knee-jerk Reaction of Negativity

Remember how, as kids, we couldn't wait to grow up and make our own decisions? I hated being told what to do and when to do it. I loved my first few years of being an "adult". But now? Now choices, at least the major ones, can be scary. Now? Now someone tell me what to do!

As I've mentioned in a past post, my choice now is to stay in the off-shoot of education that I'm currently employed in or be daring and try something new as a means of support for the kids and myself. A lovely, insightful reader, Vanessa, left her input for me in this previous post. I found myself reacting to her suggestions with negativity. In the midst of thinking of all the reasons why those suggestions wouldn't work I mentally slapped myself. Here I was doing what those around me do when I suggest new things. That's not how I want to be and that's a big part of what I'm trying to change. It was so easy to get sucked into thinking negatively right off the bat! So thank you Vanessa, for the reminder that this year is supposed to be about change, about letting go of what others think, and about being brave! I went back and looked at her suggestions again, this time thinking "Well, yes, I could do that and yes, that would work also." If all else fails I do have a degree that I can use to fall back on if need be.

There have been at least 4 jobs listed in my current field in the area that we are moving to. It dawned on me this morning that my procrastination in applying for any and all of these positions (the closing date for all is Feb. 29th) is a sign of my lack of desire to go in that direction. It's not that I don't like teaching - I do. But what I do currently and what my degree is in is an off-shoot of education. I tought high school for a year in Oklahoma (under an emergency certification) and thoroughly enjoyed it. There is one way that I can teach high school w/o a teaching degree in the state where I currently reside...teach Family & Consumer Sciences. For some reason this state does not require you to have a degree in FACS in order to teach it at the high school level. Now that is something I could see myself getting into. (Don't laugh, those of you who know me...it's not that I CAN'T cook, it's that I choose not to for the most part. I have the knowledge and can definitely teach it. And you know that when I do cook it's usually pretty good!)

So where am I going with all of this? I"m going somewhere new, a path not yet tread. I am not going to apply for jobs in my current field. It doesn't do me or my kids any good to have me dread going to work or come home tired, drained, and grumpy. They deserve better! I deserve better! Not to mention that it's a disservice to those you work with when you don't feel that you are putting your best foot forward.

What am I going to do? Well, if any jobs open up for a FACS teacher I'll apply for them. Otherwise I'll just keep watching job posting (in everything), and when we get closer to the end of the school year I'll start applying. Anyone know a great resume-writer? It's been over 5 years since I've had to update my resume.

For now I'll just enjoy this cup of Seattle's Best with caramel creamer and continue to think happy (like it says on the sweet little ring I bought from Thea Coughlin. LOVE her jewelry! To see her store click here.)

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Hey there...just to share a bit about me. I'm the kind of person who says, ok here's the problem in front of me and then will brainstorm all possible solutions no matter how far fetched they seem. Then evaluate the pros and cons of each one. (Example: I want to move but can't find suitable housing. While living in a tent IS a choice, it's maybe not so reasonable) Somehow this is methodical, but not, and makes sense to me. Anyway, I sincerely hope that you find your nirvana. I wish you the best of luck and just know whatever the answer is, it's out there for you. I'm glad I could help in whatever small way I could.

PS: Are you in Seattle? I love Seattle's Best coffee. Especially the stick of dark chocolate they place across the lid of a mocha. YUMMM!

CelticBuffy said...

Sorry, not Seattle, although I've been there once and would love to go back. I'm currently an upper Midwest gal desperately wishing I still lived in a warmer climate!