Monday, February 18, 2008

Sister of the heart

I'm an only child so it's not too surprising to me that the man I married the first time around came from a large family with several sisters between the divorces and remarriages of his parents. One of those sisters was roughly eleven when I joined her family. Through divorce I am no longer technically part of her family but I claim her (and her family and her parents) for my own. Her babies are my niece and nephew. Her husband is my brother-in-law. She is my sister, not of blood, but of the heart.

I watched this little girl grow up from a shy, quiet tween to a beautiful, serene, loving woman. That little girl is now a mother to two of her own. I have shared my heart with her over the years, hoping to help her avoid pain and mistakes by sharing my own with her. I'm sure I have hurt her over the years, as sisters are wont to do and for which I am truly sorry. I have missed birthdays and gotten so involved in my own life that there are many times I've missed what's been happening in hers. But through it all she remains the sister of my heart.

The funny thing? I've had comments over the years that we look like sisters. (I personally think it's the blonde hair, she's much prettier than I am). I like to think that our relationship has grown over the years and moved from brother's girlfriend to big/little sister to friends/sisters. She has listened to me rant and rave, cry, and counseled me through the split with her brother. We've laughed together, shopped together, been lazy at the lake together, shared secrets, and mothered together. She has been there for me when I have needed her. She has grown into a wonderful woman.

I periodically review her website and was struck this morning, yet again, by what a talented woman she is. Her photography blows me away. Her eye for capturing those intimate, fun, and unexpected wedding moments is moving. Her designs for the wedding albums are so creative and inspiring it makes me want to do better with my own silly snapshots that I take. If I were ever brave enough to take the plunge into marriage again I would want her to capture it with her camera for posterity.

There are people in our lives that we don't stop to appreciate what they have given us. It struck me this morning how proud I am of her, how much I love her, and how truly grateful I am to be able to call her sister. Here's to you Tracy, my little sister of my heart! I can't wait to see what the future brings for you and yours, and to share it with you.

1 comment:

Tracy Vogel said...

CB-you never have to apologize for anything to me...you have always gone above and beyond when it's come to being there for me! I am so fortunate to have you as my sister!

And I am so proud of you for having the courage to step out there and start a new path in your life, one that makes YOU happier and healthier!

And by the way, WOW I think you have a talent for writing! Both of us were emersed in reading all your posts! (and even though I already know most of this about you, I was still pulled into reading it and couldn't stop)

-with much love, your sister